Fill Me Up Lord!
We are all created with a God-sized hole in our hearts that can only be filled with Him, yet most people go through life trying to fill this space with everything but God! This can be almost anything. We try to fill the void with drugs, food, television, relationships, work or any number of harmful things and none of them work. In fact, they enslave us and end up causing more pain while the hole in our heart just keeps getting bigger.
I thank God that He saved me and that I know the truth in this now! However, even Christians have been guilty of turning to things other than God at times to bring them comfort or to fill a void.
When God set me free from drug addiction back in 2008, I also decided to conquer my weight problem at the same time. I was able to recognize that I had also used food to feed my addiction as well as drugs, so I made sure to fill myself up with God on a daily basis and was able to get my weight down to a healthy number.
Over the last few years, I have seen this weight slowly start to creep back on (some of it through a twin pregnancy) and I have lately even started to feel a little overwhelmed with the thought of how I will lose it again! I have even considered weight loss surgery, but I also thought to myself, “What if I can just press into God and let Him help me do this? Then I can donate all that surgery money instead to feed hungry people all over the world!” Seriously!
I am being really vulnerable right now in sharing this because it is somewhat embarrassing to me that I have gained back all this weight. However, I repent of pride in this area, and I will share because I know I am not the only Christian woman going through this struggle. In fact, I have seen many great women of God fighting this same battle!
I know that satan is the enemy of my soul and he would love to see me eat myself to death. I believe this is a weapon he uses against many Christian women because food is “legal”. I mean everybody eats! But our God is bigger and He can and will help us to overcome this problem or any area of addiction!
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. – Philippians 4:13
God has helped me come up with a plan to overcome in this area and I know that with His help I can and will get to where I need to be in body, mind, and spirit.
Here are some keys God has given me to use in this battle:
- Stay full of the Word of God. Stay saturated in His presence on a daily basis. Make sure that “God-sized hole” is always filled up to overflowing with HIM!
- Find mentors who have overcome the problem you are struggling with. Katie Souza has some great teachings on overcoming food addiction and Patricia King has an amazing weight loss plan called “Power Weight Loss”.
- Choose a plan and stick to it! Pray for God to highlight to you what will work for you specifically and ask Him to guide you through it on a daily basis giving you strength to follow through.
- Don’t focus on the problem. Focus on the solution. Keep your eyes on Jesus! Remember, what we focus on we empower!
- Never give up! If you fall, get back up and push through!! Don’t get stuck in the same cycle of failure. Step outside of that negative cycle and ask God to help you start a new cycle of SUCCESS!
Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. – 2 Corinthians 3:17
I am excited to see what I can accomplish with the Lord over the next few months! We get to partner with God in all things and the journey is not always easy, but it is always rewarding.
Written by: Ginger Brown
Published on: October 6, 2017